Wednesday, May 30, 2012

It's been 1 year, 6 months and 29 days since I read a non-Romance novel

I'll begin the blog by telling you why it is that I, an English and history major from U.S. News & World Report #27-ranked University of Richmond, have not read a non-Romance book since November 2010. I was on my honeymoon in Barbados and God only knows why, but I was reading Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. Now, if you're not familiar with this novel, it is about humans who are created and nurtured only for their organs. Great beach reading! 


Anyway, after I finished that, I found a make-shift library by the pool with Susan Elizabeth Phillip's Lady Be Good. It looked like such a ridiculous premise, and it truth, a lot of the early romances I read did have ridiculous premises. Rich guy, doesn't believe in love; cute girl who doesn't know she's cute, out to prove something. Lady Be Good is actually a pretty good example. Hero Kenny Travelers is (obviously) handsome, wealthy and avoiding a relationship. Enter Lady Emma Wells-Finch, who is (obviously) virginal, sweet but strong-willed. Even though there were plot points I saw coming from miles away, and I had to laugh at some of the stretches in reality, I fell in love. It was fun, witty, charming and I couldn't get enough. 


I like to believe the romances I read now are more sophisticated (and grounded in reality) than Susan Elizabeth Phillips' novels, but her tales are what got me headed in the right direction. And now and again I have to go back to books like Match Me If You Can, just because they're so fanciful. And who wouldn't want to be wooed by a millionaire sports agent with a name like Champion?


I'd like to use this blog to share my hopefully witty, possibly insightful, at times inappropriate thoughts on the romances I read. I tend to focus on contemporary romances, but will throw in some erotic romances and may even dabble in historical (they're the only V. Dahl's I haven't approached.)


Topics I plan to tackle: why authors are still dressing heroes in mirrored Oakley sunglasses and jean shorts, the phrase "with one brush of his finger she fell apart" and why a heroine would find it hot to see her crush kissing another woman.   

No comments:

Post a Comment