Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Review: Married by Monday

I just finished reading the fun and light Married by Monday by Catherine Bybee. I can't remember how I found her first book (I believe she is self-pubbed), Wife by Wednesday, but I loved it. I went into this sequel expecting the same and for the most part, I was right. Both books have stalking/plotting-to-kill-the-heroine sub-plots, which I normally don't go for but worked for me here.

Both books have the hero/heroine entering marriage for reasons other than love. In this case, the reasons are politics and so that the hero (Carter Billings who is running for senator of California) could provide a high level of security for the heroine (Eliza Havens--a woman in the witness protection program). It's obvious they're attracted to each other but get in petty arguments. Or so we're led to believe. They may have disagreed about a ref's call in a football game, which takes place prior to the start of the book, but it seems that once they get married they get along pretty swimmingly. And that's the problem--there's no heat. They fall into marriage and everything just works out (relationship-wise that is--she does get shot). There's no huge climax where Carter and Eliza realize "Hey! I'm in love!" I guess you could say Carter realizes it when Eliza gets shot, but it just didn't feel real to me. There weren't many hints along the way that they were falling in love, just that they were getting along.

Spoiler alert/minor plot issue: it could be that I'm missing something, but I don't understand why Max (Carter's uncle, also a senator) would lead Carter to believe there was a hit out on Sanchez. What did he have to gain from it?

Overall, it was an entertaining read and I am looking forward to Gwen & Neil's story (Fiance by Friday), because they seem like such polar opposites. Also, I hope Karen finds a match!

No comments:

Post a Comment